Wednesday, June 3, 2015

A miracle for Hope!

Yesterday, I took Hope in to the endocrinologist.  They want to be sure that all is well with her pituitary gland.  She has lost weight again and is back to the weight she was when we brought her home.  She has gained an inch - but 3 inches would be a better gain.  The others that have had her diagnosis often have issues with their pituitary gland, especially regarding growth hormone.

As I talked with the doctor and she asked questions, I told her it would be very hard to know if it was growth issue or an eating issue without any blood tests.  They will do those in the early morning in a few weeks.  (They are also testing cortisol levels, which are highest in the morning).  It was also discussed that there could be issues with cortisol - which I have heard can be chronically low because of the stress of orphanages.  The doctor said it should be resolved by now, but the studies I have read said it never really resolves on its own - so it will be interesting to see.  She doesn't have any of the symptoms so far - but always good to check.  The final check will be on the thyroid gland.  If it is a cortisol or thyroid problem, it would mean medication every day.  If it was growth hormone - it would mean a daily injection.  My heart almost stopped.  I don't know what my poor girl would do if I had to "hurt" her every day.  I have had to do daily injections, it is not fun. :(

I was driving home pretty heartbroken for my girl, the Lord hearing my heart.  I thought, I just need to keep trying to get her to eat more even though the appointment with the therapist is not until the end of the this month.  For some odd reason (the Lord's prompting, but I didn't see it as that), I decided to make some egg noodles to chop up into tiny pieces with some sauce on it to try to feed her.  The girl I could barely get to choke down a little oatmeal that I was mixing in her blended food!  I also thought I would try to spoon feed her chunks of banana - the girl that only ate Gerber blended bananas.  And why not try a few of the "puffies" (the dissolving rice stars that Gerber makes)?  I might as well have been thinking that I should just go out and join an Iron Man race with no training.  My biggest girls were looking at me with that, "Okaaaaaaay, mom, do you need some more coffee?" look.  I prayed briefly, "Lord, please help her to eat it."  AND SHE DID!  Every last bite of it!  A small bowl of noodles with spaghetti sauce, 3/4 of a banana, a Gerber applesauce, and 10 puffies cut in half!  Then I handed her drink to her (which she almost always refuses) and she snuggled up on my lap and drank every last drop!  I am still in shock.

THEN at dinner, she ate cheese ravioli cut into small bites and a cup of yogurt!  The girl that would only eat the blended foods that tasted completely fruity!  Different textures, different tastes!  PRAISING MY SAVIOR!

At bedtime, I thought maybe I should heat up some milk in the sippy cup that she uses and try and see if she would drink it while I rocked her.  Again, this is the girl that NEVER wants to drink!  I added some powdered calories to it as well as some probiotics.  She drank it all down and wanted more!  I gave her another cup full.  When I tucked her in, she smiled and laughed.  I am sure that going to bed after having her tummy FULL was an amazing feeling.  I did not hear her "s'mope" (her unique noise) once last night.  I am still in shock!

Last night I had trouble sleeping because I was thinking through all the foods we could try with her now.  Scrambled eggs, pastas, soft breads in tiny pieces, cooked carrots, chunks of soft fruit!  Can you tell how excited I am.  I have prayed over my girl every day - that the Lord would heal her heart, mind, body, and soul.  So many days of seeing nothing change - yet knowing that God could heal her in an instant...so I kept asking.  Oh, praise the Lord, oh my soul!

We will still see what the blood tests say - and the appointment at the end of the month will give us a good idea if her new eating habits help her to gain weight - I am so excited to see what life will be like now that she is finally eating!  Oh, happy day!

Until He comes - all praise, glory, and honor to His Name!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, oh, oh! I am praying that little Hope will keep up the good eating and that God will use this to bring comfort and peace into her heart too!!!

    ReplyDelete